Monday, June 25, 2012

Options


I can’t believe a person who used to write extra long love letters can’t even update a blog. I used to promise my faithful few readers that I would try to do better and committed to updating at least once per week. I think we all know that’s not going to happen. I’ll try to blog when I have something really relevant to share. In between I’ll try to post up some of the videos from my youtube page.

Ok, so one big change that has happened in my life is that I am officially in grad school! I just completed two quarters. I am shooting for a December 2013 graduation date with my mba in Human Resource Management. My thinking is that this degree will allow me to be more flexible in my career choices, and remove me from the media pigeon hole I’m in. I eat, breathe and sleep media but I want to be able to float into other industries if I find myself without a job. This degree will allow me to go into any type of business function, or Human Resources. I’ve been seriously considering going straight through and completing my PhD, but we’ll see how I feel after getting hammered by this rigorous mba program. 

Aside from counting my duckets, I am NOT a math person. Left to my own devices I’d probably get an F in every math class I ever took. I am definitely more into the humanities. Anyway I need to pop my collar and brag about the fact that I just got an “A” in statistics the first time out. I’m so proud of myself. I worked hard, stayed up long nights, gave up my weekends for 11 weeks and basically neglected my friends, kids, pets and husband to snag this grade. Next up is quantitative methods which I hear is far worse so please keep me in your prayers. LOL. Here’s what I am claiming for myself with this program: Maintenance of a 4.0 gpa at best, no less than a 3.8 on the low end. Invitations to at least two national honor societies. No graduation date push backs- December 2013 I want to walk across that stage.

One week ago I took a 6+ hour journey to drop my youngest off at college in Tallahassee. She will be pursuing a BA in chemistry. I encouraged her to take this path to give herself options. She wants to be a doctor, but realistically we all know that path is rough. So if she gets the degree in chemistry she can do one of two things. First, she can keep the chemistry degree and become a chemist. One of our cousins has made a career as a chemist and really enjoys working in the lab. Second option, she can apply to pharmacy school. Pharmacists make a great living with less years in school and no malpractice headaches. So she weighed her options and decided to give the chemistry major a try. If I had to do the last 15 years of my life over again, I think I would have given myself a lot more options. Don’t get me wrong- I don’t regret any of the decisions I’ve made (aside from one, which will be resolved very soon). But maybe I could have gone straight to grad school after college. Or maybe I should have stayed in NY 2 years less. Maybe, maybe, maybe. This time around I want options. I promise to blog tomorrow. I have a rant that I’ve been dying to post about for about a week.

Toodles,
E.B.

No comments: