Saturday, March 15, 2008

Great Escape #2: MRI's & Nerve Conduction Exams

Thursday had to be singularly the worst day of my life.

Ok, I'm exaggerating. But you all get the point. Out of the 100 worst days of my life that I have had in my 30+ years Thursday March 13, 2008 ranks in the top 25. Yes, it was that bad.

I was in a car accident late last October that resulted in the total loss of my brand new car with less than 5000 miles on it, and of course, injuries to my body. The other guy went through his windshield but lived. It was one of those accidents that could have ended in death but thankfully all lives were spared. There was just a ton of money lost on my end since the guy was uninsured and I didn't have uninsured motorists insurance. Anything not covered by my basic insurance came out of my pocket.

So after going through the ringer with my former auto insurance company for months on who would pay for the MRIs I finally just went through my health insurance to have them foot the bill. I had been in pain needlessly for months. It was time for me to get some answers and treatment so that
I wouldn't be hurting in my joints and muscles every time the temperature dropped past 60 degrees.

Yesterday I had MRIs of my neck and shoulder.

I am claustrophobic.

The machine was very narrow.

Because they had to get accurate pictures of my neck they locked me into a face brace type of contraption that severely limited my range of movement.

I felt like I was in a coffin.

I had to be blindfolded in order to tolerate the suffocating feeling of being buried alive.

But the fun didn't stop there.

After at least an hour in that tomb-like, loud, beeping, grinding contraption the technician rolled me out, stuck a needle with dye into my arm and pushed me back in for another 15 minutes of torture.

It was one of the most horrific feelings I have ever felt in my life.

I do not know how I got through it.

But now that it's over, I know that I will never put myself through it again.

Never.

Later that day I had nerve conduction tests at my neurologists office to see how my nerves respond to stimulus.


I was marked with pens, measured, taped down and shocked with volts of electricity through various points across my body.

After it was all over

I went to do my taxes.

Yes, my taxes.

Federal and State since I lived in NY for half of 2007.

Simply put

Worst day EVER.

No comments: